Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default silver sand, plasterers' sand, children's sand, etc

On May 6, 9:27*pm, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I had a look on google groups because I am sure this gets asked every
summer but I wanted to know what sand is used in children's sandpits.
Toy shops sell bags of "sandpit sand" but I am sure there are cheaper
ways to buy it.

Builders' sand is soft but red, and I understand it would stain
children's clothes, so that rules that out.

Sharp sand is sandy in colour but would it be too sharp?!

Am I right to think plasterers' sand is just a finer version of sharp
sand? So it might be just what I need?

And is silver sand even finer still, so even better?

I have read old posts of people digging and lining holes to make a
sand pit but I was going to have something above ground. I thought
four sides of treated timber (gravel board?) to contain the sand and a
sloping plywood roof to keep the rain off and cats out. Any flaws with
that plan?

Thanks,
Stephen.

IIRC kids sand is free of clay and red sand, both of which stain

NT