Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cash Cash is offline

Default Cutting and drilling lead

John Rumm wrote:
On 06/05/2011 16:45, Roger Mills wrote:
I need to replace the weights in some of my sash windows, because the
existing ones aren't heavy enough. I need to use lead because less
dense iron or steel weights would occupy more space than is
available. I have some weights on order which are long pieces of 1.5"
square bar
(with a hole through the middle for the cord) which need to be cut to
length. I would also like to drill a 1/2" horizontal hole near the
top of each weight to accommodate a knot in the cord, so that I can
use the existing cords which are not long enough to go to the bottom
of the weights.

If replacing the weights I would do the cord at the same time unless
it was replaced recently. Sash cord is fairly cheap.

The OP should also weigh the sashes complete with the glass, and the cut the
lead weights so that their combined weight is equal to the sash - otherwise
they will not stay in a partially open position for ventilation.

Sorry to use your post to reply John, but my filters are stopping the OP -
who is probably posting through the google groups.

Cash