Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_3_] Tim W[_3_] is offline

Default silver sand, plasterers' sand, children's sand, etc

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I had a look on google groups because I am sure this gets asked every
summer but I wanted to know what sand is used in children's sandpits.
Toy shops sell bags of "sandpit sand" but I am sure there are cheaper
ways to buy it.

Builders' sand is soft but red, and I understand it would stain
children's clothes, so that rules that out.

Sharp sand is sandy in colour but would it be too sharp?!

Am I right to think plasterers' sand is just a finer version of sharp
sand? So it might be just what I need?

And is silver sand even finer still, so even better?

I have read old posts of people digging and lining holes to make a
sand pit but I was going to have something above ground. I thought
four sides of treated timber (gravel board?) to contain the sand and a
sloping plywood roof to keep the rain off and cats out. Any flaws with
that plan?

Crikey I am sure I used to know the answer to that when I was young and had
children but I have completely forgotten it now. What is happening to me?

Tim W