Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default UK DVDs

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2011 20:26:59 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

If it's for playing on a DVD player, as well as the region coding,
the player and or TV might not like the PAL 625-line signal.

But the signal on the disk hasn't, hopefully, been anywhere near PAL
coder, digits all the way. It's the player that coverts the digital
signal from the disc to whatever analogue is required. Be that PAL,
SECAM or NTSC... Wouldn't the player be connected via HDMI anyway or
at the very least RGB SCART avoiding PAL completely? Frame rate might
be a problem but the programme may not last as long...

Not true at all.

the movie itself will be encoded at PAL frame rates and line sizes, or
NTSC. there's more to PAL than a encoding..there are implicit frame
rates and so on.

whether or not a modern player is smart enough to do the conversion I do
not know.

But my DVD creation software certainly gives me a PAL/NTSC option when
creating a DVD disc..

That is something else I need to look at. Thanks.

Dave