Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting and drilling lead

John Rumm wrote:
On 06/05/2011 16:45, Roger Mills wrote:
I need to replace the weights in some of my sash windows, because the
existing ones aren't heavy enough. I need to use lead because less dense
iron or steel weights would occupy more space than is available.

I have some weights on order which are long pieces of 1.5" square bar
(with a hole through the middle for the cord) which need to be cut to
length. I would also like to drill a 1/2" horizontal hole near the top
of each weight to accommodate a knot in the cord, so that I can use the
existing cords which are not long enough to go to the bottom of the
weights.

If replacing the weights I would do the cord at the same time unless it
was replaced recently. Sash cord is fairly cheap.

What's the best way of cutting and drilling lead? I've done some
experiments on a lead 'brick' which I happen to have (which started life
as a counterbalance weight on a drawing board), and not found it too
easy. A normal hacksaw seems to be too fine, and drill bits seem to bind
when they get a little way in.

Any ideas? [Would an angle grinder help? g]

Fine toothed saw IME - although not as fine as your normal hacksaw
blade. For drilling, HSS bit with lubrication possibly (not tried
drilling through much thickness of lead to be honest)

I did once years ago..low drill speed and lots of lube IIRC, or it melts
and clogs.