Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default UK DVDs

In message , Gary
writes
On 06/05/2011 00:56, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember
saying something like:

If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not play
in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

Rip and burn it as an xvid .avi file - almost guaranteed to play on any
DVD player unless it's prehistoric.

nero will convert pal to ntsc. it will also rip the disk but you wll
need to block the region code with somthing like region free dvd or
simular.

It's a few years since I used Nero to do PAL-NTSC conversions (just for
fun). The resulting video was certainly watchable, but tended to be a
bit 'edgy' and slightly 'stuttery' at times. Also, on my ancient PC, the
conversion process takes a very long time (typically four or five
hours).

As I said, unless the DVD is to be watched on a DVD player, it's much
easier simply to watch it direct on a computer, and use DVD43 to tell
the drive to ignore the region coding (and, I believe some of the forms
of copy protection). It only takes few seconds to download it and
install it.
--
Ian