Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Referendum

On 05/05/2011 01:20, brass monkey wrote:
"Roger wrote in message

Indeed. I don't think there's *any* system which would provide a cast iron
guarantee of that. But, in general, over 50% of the population would have
expressed *some* sort of preference for them - which doesn't happen under
FPTP unless they get over 50% anyway - which the vast majority don't.

So explain this again -
I might be a staunch tory and want the tory candidate to win, but I'm
expected to put labour maybe in 2nd place and maybe LD in 3rd?
Maybe I don't want even a sniff of labour or LD? So I just put a X in tory?
Where's the difference?
(I don't see a box marked 'coffee shop').

I expect, in reality, that it would work more like this: If I were a
staunch Tory and the Tory candidate was one of the front runners, I
would vote *only* for him/her, and not express any other preferences.
However, if I were (say) a staunch Green but didn't expect the Greens to
win, I would vote for them first, and then consider which (if any) of
the other parties I could stomach if my Green was not successful.
--
Cheers,
Roger