Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave N[_3_] Dave N[_3_] is offline

Default Assembling a winder staircase in a confined space

Well I managed to get the old staircase out without too much
difficulty by cutting the middle section out - see
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...12b845f?hl=en#.
I've posted links to a few pictures too. The new staircase arrives
today, and the next part of the fun begins.

The replacement will be a winder staircase, with the winder section at
the bottom, starting from the former understair cupboard entrance in
the rear reception room of the house. I've seen instructions for
assembling staircases, but all of them start with the assembly in a
nice large open space, so the staircase can be asembled sideways and
then moved into position. Unfortunately this won't be possible for me
as an assembled staircase can't be manoeuvred around the corners. As
far as I can see the most difficult part will be assembling the winder
box in situ, since it's at floor level and will be difficult to move.

Does anyone have experience of assembling a winder staircase in an
enclosed stairwell? Any tips welcome!

David.