Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mouse[_4_] Mouse[_4_] is offline

Default Cutting Disks

On 5/4/2011 8:13 PM, wrote:
On May 4, 6:09 pm, Tim wrote:
I have two sizes of disk to cut, from two or three different materials:

Disk 1: 3/4" diameter, from 6mm thick "Depron" foam. This is a
close-cell polystyrene foam (I think it's extruded).

Disk 2: 0.125" to 0.150" diameter, from 1/64" plywood or 0.015" styrene
(I have the plywood, the styrene matches the color and chemistry of the
foam).

Both need to have a .025" diameter hole drilled, but that's not the big
problem.

How many do you need to make? If it is not too many, I would try
making a single sided die and use it spinning in a drill press. It
could have a .025 drill so it drills the hole first and then cuts the
disk in one operation. Think of a toothless hole saw. I have used
something like this for cutting rubber disks. I did not need the
hole in the center.

Dan

That's what I was thinking. When I worked in a printing company they had
a hole drill that would melt through a 1/2" stack of paper with ease--a
sharpened thin tube spinning in a small hand press--had a cutout on the
side to eject the paper disks. Should be easy to make one for a drill
press. I believe it was sharpened on the inside of the tube since they
were after clean holes, for clean disks sharpen from the outside.

--
:3 )~