Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Cutting Disks

I have two sizes of disk to cut, from two or three different materials:

Disk 1: 3/4" diameter, from 6mm thick "Depron" foam. This is a
close-cell polystyrene foam (I think it's extruded).

Disk 2: 0.125" to 0.150" diameter, from 1/64" plywood or 0.015" styrene
(I have the plywood, the styrene matches the color and chemistry of the
foam).

Both need to have a .025" diameter hole drilled, but that's not the big
problem.

Currently I'm cutting these by hand, but would like to automate the
process. Ideally I'd like tools that a 12 year old kid could wield to
good effect, so the less skill needed by the operator the better. A
close second place is a tool that needs some care and manual dexterity
to use, but it still quick and robust.

So -- how to do? Die cut these "Paper punch" style, with a top & bottom
die? Make a single-sided die and either press it, or whack it with a
hammer like a leather punch? Hole saws?

Also, any suggestions on drilling the holes in the small disks? These
are fiendishly hard to hold while cutting a hole. Currently the easiest
way seems to be to drill holes in the parent stock, then cut the disks
around them. Drilling holes in the large disks is easy -- in fact, all
I've been doing there is just poking the holes with the right size of wire.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services