Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Calling all birthers

wrote in message
On May 4, 5:13 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
wrote in message

On May 4, 4:02 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

It would depend on whether he was convicted under Section 1 (which
applies
to individuals, not just to conspiracies) or Section 2. Surely he would
be
guilty under Section 2. If I were the prosecutor, I'd go for Section 1,
as
an act of "counseling," in which case he could get five years, and a
five
of
up to $5,000 (in 1798!), "and further, at the discretion of the court
may
be
holden to find sureties for his good behaviour in such sum, and for such
time, as the said court may direct."

and the act
itself limited the amount of time the act was in force to three
years. So Rich would not have spent many years in prison.

Up to five.

And since
the act was passed in 1798 when George Washington was no longer
president, I am not sure the Sedition Act qualifies as being passed by
the Founding Fathers.

Dan

John Adams signed it. What was he, chopped liver? g

--
Ed Huntress
It never crossed my mind that Rich was counseling.

See? You made a wise decision not to be a prosecutor....

You might get a
conviction on Section !, but it would not be as easy as Section 2.

True. I don't know how nasty juries were in those days. That's what it
would
depend upon.

And yes John Adams is a founding father, but does not qualify as " The
Founding Fathers ".

Uh....I'm not going to ask what size pencil you're using to draw that
line...no, I promise I won't... (he's usually counted among the Founding
Fathers by historians, but each to his own.)

--
Ed Huntress

I agree he is one of the Founding Fathers. He is not " the Founding
Fathers" plural. There was more than one Founding Father.

Dan

Well, I go along with Richard B. Morris's list: Benjamin Franklin, George
Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Jay, James Madison, and
Alexander Hamilton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundin..._United_States

But there are different opinions about it.

--
Ed Huntress