Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default How crucial is the 10mm expansion gap in laminate flooring?

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On May 4, 12:43 pm, "Steven Campbell" spam@away wrote:
I understand the reasons for the expansion gap in a floating floor but is
10mm all round not a bit excessive? Can the floor really expand up to
20mm
in all directions?

Reason I'm asking, I'm in the process of laying a floor and have left the
10mm round the perimeter of the room (as I removed the skirting and can
easily hide the gap) but am now up against the breakfast bar and am not
too
keen on a big gap and don't want to put skirting round it.

Also due to bad planning I've been left with a small (20mm) L section of
laminate to fit which only leaves a few mm expansion. There is no way I
can
cut it smaller to leave the proper 10mm gap.

Cheers

Steven.

Is this the tile effect stuff? Hardly expands at all IME. I never
leave anything like 10mm. Real wood based stuff is probably different.

MBQ

And +1. I have it all over my house. The conservatory is massive, and
subject to huge extremes of temperature, and I've never had the slightest
problem. That's bog standard B&Q Tileoc. I would estimate that my average
gap is around 5mm, and in places, zero ...

Arfa