Posted to alt.home.repair

Default repair Formica nick

On May 4, 11:39*am, Kyle wrote:
Just discovered a small nick in our two-year-old Formica countertop. I
suspect our ADD niece (22) wasn't paying attention while cutting up
her veggies for lunch, and now I need to make a repair and need advice
on how to make the repair.

It's not a simple patch, as the nick is raised on one side so that
there's a very small bump to the counter surface. And idea what I
could use to soften the Formica and smooth it down? The nick itself
might not even be visible if I can get the surface to flow a bit and
smooth-out.

I would take the rounded handle of some metal kitchen utensil and
press down VERY hard while rubbing it slowly back and forth across the
raised nick, to sort of cold flow the plastic back into position. I
have actually done this on a couple of small (1/4' long) bumps in a
countertop. You don't say how big the nick is so I'm guessing it
isn't too long or deep. If the depressed area is still noticeable, I
would mix a small amount of epoxy, like a drop or two, add a 1/4 - 1/2
drop of white paint, mix the two together, and apply to the hole using
the end of a pin. You can fill in the nick almost to the top, and the
surrounding area will take the daily wear and tear so that the patch
should be reasonably durable. The trick is to get equal parts of the
epoxy so it sets up correctly. Good luck and tell us what you do.