Posted to rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi[_3_] Luigi Zanasi[_3_] is offline

Default Oilly rag disposal

On May 2, 5:00*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

: "Russ Stanton" *wrote in message
: When I know I'm going to be producing a bunch of rags like that I keep
an
: old paint can full of water outside the garage and the rags go into that
: until I'm ready to dispose of them.

Won't the problem reoccur when the rags dry out (of water), and the
oil starts to oxidize? *I've never understood how putting the
ouly rags in water is supposed to halt the problem.

-- Andy Barss

If you put a lid on the can, it won't dry out for months, even years if well
sealed. *Being in a can, the rags would not burn very much anyway as the
oxygen would be gone in seconds.

Even a metal can with no water can work.

Bu that still doesn't answer Andrew's concern, which I share. what
happens when you take the oily rags out of the water can and dry them
out? or when you open your no-water can and let fresh oxygen get at
the rags? or if the can gets crushed? The can can only be a temporary
solution.

Or do you allow them to start fires in your waste disposal site? I can
see keeping them for kindling, but I do generate enough wooden
kindling to last me throughout a Yukon winter, so I don't need oily
rags in my fireplace or wood stove.

Luigi
Who spreads out his oily rags to cure/dry and then throws them out,
just like Doug Miller says.