Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DougC DougC is offline

Default Tapping a hole in aluminum?

On 5/3/2011 6:33 PM, John Doe wrote:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT...-SearchResults

Limit: H1 Finish/Coating: Bright Material: HSS Overall Length:
2-15/16 Number of Flutes: 4

Is that likely to work as any other hand tool?
Thanks.

Firstly: That is a set of three taps--a taper, plug and bottoming tap.
Did you want all three? If you don't have any other
metalworking/machinist tools or a drill press--you'll probably never use
a bottoming tap, for instance.

They are also 4-flutes (3 flutes are stronger) and are straight-flutes
(so you have to reverse to break up chips).

If you only wanted one tap, then here is a $12.48 Hertel H1 spiral point
(spiral-point taps don't require reversing to break up chips, normally)
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT...-SearchResults

alternately here is an Interstate brand (imported) H1 spiral-point for
$5.71-:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT...-SearchResults

When I checked on eBay, all the pulley taps in 3/8-24 that gave a fit
spec were H3. I'd bet somebody makes them in H1 (or you could
custom-order one) but you'd pay $50+ for it, maybe $100+.