Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark[_30_] Mark[_30_] is offline

Default Referendum

On Tue, 03 May 2011 11:23:24 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

Robin wrote:
twice because the previous vote is discarded. The person's vote is
only used ONCE in the final result even though it's his/her second
preference rather than first.

Except it may not be the second preference. One of the drawbacks with
AV is that voters' first preference candidate may not be eliminated
until after their 2nd preference candidate has been eliminated which, as
you will no doubt appreciate having spent so much time on the subject,
means their votes end up being given to 3rd (or 4th ...) choices and
*never* to their 2nd choice.

Hence of course the benefits of a Condorcet system - which I would have
liked to have seen Nick Clegg & co explain.

I don't see the need to change, myself. The FPTP system has generally
been delivering stable government here for a while now.

Dictatorships also deliver stable governments but I would not want
one.
--
(\__/) M.