Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default aircraft newsgroup?

On 05/03/2011 01:06 PM, Rich Grise wrote:
[crossposted: rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design; please
manage followups intelligently.]

Tim Wescott wrote:
Don't be surprised if the value is way lower than you think it should
be. People from 'outside' an enthusiast group can get enthralled by the
prices for some pro-built super-zoot thing and think that it applies to
everything. It doesn't -- the value of a half-assembled kit is often
less than the value of a factory new kit; the value of an
owner-assembled 'knock-around' airplane is going to be much less than
the same thing that's built to win trophies at shows (assuming they have
such things).

Dunno if this has any applicability here, but one of my coworkers has a
souped-up Bucket T roadster that's been appraised at 35K, and my cousin
Owen in Lake Crystal, Minnesota still has Grampa's original equipment
Model A that you'd have to pay somebody to haul away, wood floorboards
and all.

The 'A' is probably worth something -- even one that grew up on salted
roads and had a tree fall on it is probably still worth a few hundred if
it's got most of the parts. But unless it's either rare or in
superlative condition it's probably somewhere in three digits territory.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services