Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default O/T: Statue Of Limitations

Robatoy wrote:

What would you expect ... coming up on an election year?

When's the last time a POUS crowed, with global coverage, about
killing a fugitive? Seems like it would be something that would have
more impact by just STFU about it, other than a simple State
Department statement of fact.

Shot his face off and dumped him in the ocean (to honour Islamic
laws)... after the fastest DNA analysis in history.
Just blowing the prick away wasn't enough, he had to have a 'woman as
a human shield' and live in a 'mansion'... all stuff that The Great
Unwashed lap up. Nobody will ever know the details. All I know is that
it stinks.

I agree - sort of.

It was never the goal of the Bush administration to kill or capture OBL. In
the decade before 9/11, there had been about one terrorist attack on the
U.S. or U.S. interests per year (WTC 1, USS Cole, embassy bombings, etc.).
The singular goal of the Bush administration was to put a stop to that. To
do so, tactics were devised to disrupt or curtail terrorist training,
sanctuaries, financing, communication, and recruitment. These tactics were
successful - there were no further attacks on the U.S. or U.S. interests
abroad during the Bush administration.

Of course if, during the course of these endeavors, we ran across OBL, that
would be a plus. But it was never a goal.

Two years ago, President Obama changed, or at least added, to the focus by
instructing the CIA to pull out all the stops in the quest for OBL.

I am not qualified to state that the search for OBL hampered our previous
efforts, but there have already been three attacks on the U.S. mainland
since Obama took office...