Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Good small electric chainsaw that won't burn itself up on thefirst use???

On 5/2/2011 10:26 AM, mike wrote:
What's a good brand of electric pruning saw.
Something like an 8" chainsaw.

Every cheap electric garden tool I've purchased has burned up
very quickly. It's always the same thing. The motor brush holders
are made of plastic. Brushes heat up, plastic melts, brushes can't move,
Arcs burn up the commutator. Motor dead.

You'd think they'd at least put in a thermal coutout.

Anybody make a small, lightweight electric chainsaw that won't die
the first time I cut thru a 3" tree limb?

I've been quite happy with my McCullough electric, with maybe a 14" bar
on it. Bought it for $15 at a garage sale from some fellow that moved
into a condo, and realized he wasn't allowed to touch the trees. I
wouldn't try to do production work with it, but for the 2-3 times a year
I use it for pruning and cutting up fallen limbs (some up to 4"), it
seems to work fine. I don't get along with small gas engines, especially
occasional-use ones, and it does what I need it to do. Like the others
said, I do use a 12ga cord with it.

--
aem sends...