Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default Good small electric chainsaw that won't burn itself up on thefirst use???

On May 2, 9:26*am, mike wrote:
What's a good brand of electric pruning saw.
Something like an 8" chainsaw.

Every cheap electric garden tool I've purchased has burned up
very quickly. *It's always the same thing. *The motor brush holders
are made of plastic. *Brushes heat up, plastic melts, brushes can't move,
Arcs burn up the commutator. *Motor dead.

You'd think they'd at least put in a thermal coutout.

Anybody make a small, lightweight electric chainsaw that won't die
the first time I cut thru a 3" tree limb?

What do you use 18ga 50-100ft extension cords? Overheating is quickly
caused by using to small a gauge extension cord, allowing voltage to
drop. Ive never had anything electric burn out, even my cheap sears
chain saw, and it never got hot, I use 12 ga cords. All electric
equipment I have comes with instructions to the proper gauge to use
for the length you need. Google it to see if its not an extension cord
issue. Sthil, Makita and maybe they make an electric Echo and
Huskavarna, are commercial equipment, but I bet its your cord that is
to small to supply the right power. I even test my runs with a volt
meter just to be sure when im 100ft out, because maybe your house
supply can be low in the hot summer months due to everyone straining
the utility co. Your tool needs its rated voltage.