Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default R-22 Heat Pump update

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Tom Gardner wrote:

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in
message
news:4IWdnYnxocIsICHQnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Cross-Slide" wrote in message

static pressure on the refrigerant is 110 psi on both sides at
70
degrees F ambient.

At 70F, your pressure should be a tad more than 10 lbs higher
than
that...and so either you have a bad thermometer or else the
refrigerant is contaminated.

It sounds like the Compressor needs a capacitor also.

Thats a very real possibility.

The house is all-electric and very well insulated, my largest
electric bills are $200/mo for everything so I don't expect
see
huge savings with a new heat pump.

If using a heat pump in a relatively mild climate, your winter
heating bill will be about 1/3 as high as it was with forced air
electric strip furnace.

Holy ****! Can I GET that lucky to just replace caps? I'll test
them
tomorrow with the "bounce method" on my VTVM...how many people
still
have one of those?.

Time to move into this century:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-digital-multimeter-98674.html

$39.99

A simple ESR meter is handy, too. It will show you if the capacitor
can
actually pass the required current.

You can build a simple one for under a buck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESR_meter

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-AidT on it, because
it's

I prize my VTVM, it has class even if it is a dinosaur. I also have a
bunch of DVMs, some as cheap as $5 each, some as much as $150. It all
depends on which is closest.

I used VTVMs for years, and built at least three of them but it
won't give you accurate data on a capacitor that has to carry a heavy AC
current. I think I still have two, if one survived the hurricanes a few
years ago.. The other is here in the house. It has a huge meter
movement, and compartments in the steel case to store the AC cord &
probes.

This cap has a feature, a "Physical interrupter for safety". Have you
ever heard of that?

We used to call that a 'Fuse'

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.