Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Analogue meter - suspension repair

Anyone any experience? Coil is fine. This is almost hair-fine
phosphor-bronze ribbon suspension , not hairspring and jewels. A ribbon, top
and bottom, holds the coil frame and passes current. Each ribbon is soldered
to the frame then passes through a hole in the offset-rotatable anchor ,
passes over the rounded edge of an open end of a U-shape of manageable size
phosphor bronze spring , and soldered along the arm of that spring. The
solder point to the frame has failed from a jar / knock. So both U springs
are now opened to a V in comparison. I have tried solder to the end of the
fine ribbon and the stub on the frame, both take solder fine but not joined
up yet. There is enough length of fine ribbon on the broken side to resolder
to the coil frame , pass thru the hole and anchor off , on its u-spring
anchor farther along than originally.
But how to bring the open-U springs back to proper U before soldering the
anchor point. A matter of making a jig to compress or some sort of external
spring over them ? And of course I've not seen a functioning movement. I'm
assuming setting up as U and then opening out a bit with the jigs removed,
or would the jig need to compress to more than U and then open out to U with
jigs removed, normal use.
Pushing down on the spring of the good end and letting the coil frame drop,
with gravity, it seems to be centrally aligned over the pole piece, when
the spring is a proper U viewed on side.
Where would one find , even robbing, short lengths of such rbbon if it was
required?