Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default OT How much oil is too much?

On May 1, 8:17*pm, "A. Baum" wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 20:49:13 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:
My nephew drives my truck. *When he brought it over, I checked the oil
and I thought it looked about a half quart too low. *I added about a
half quart and checked the oil again. *I guess my eyes too bad or my
estimate of how much is a half quart is off. *It now looks a half a
quart over. *I am told that too much oil is bad too. *I just can't find
out how much is too much.

If I had a scrap piece of hose I might try the thumb over the straw and
try to get a little out.

If you checked it right after it was running for a good while it could
appear 1/2 quart low. After it sits for an hour and cools down the oil
from all the passages and the top of the heads and oil filter will run
back down into the sump pan and the level may check normal. This is one
reason there is a normal band on the dipstick. *I the level is below that
band it's usually a quart low. If you are really worried drain a little
from the drain plug. But first, consider the scenario I set and if it
matches your turn of events, don't worry about it. If not, just drain a
little out. And depending on the motor and length and width and depth of
the oil pan 1/2 a quart over may not equal a significant rise in the
overall level with the engine running.

I thought half a quart was a pint?