Posted to rec.woodworking
RockHound RockHound is offline

Default Drywall Screws nasty greasy drywall screws... any reason not to use the gold ones?

As a pro remodeling contractor I go through a fair amount of drywall screws.
Mostly 1.25" black course thread. These screws used to be fairly "dry" but
for about the past five years or so I have had a real hard time finding
screws that are not covered with oil. This oil is stinky greasy petrol
smelling stuff that makes the screws unpleasant to handle. Gets all over my
fingers, it's probably toxic, and could keep the mud from sticking to the
screw heads? This problem is not just with the off brand / Borg screws. The
last box i bought were "Grabber" brand screws... same problem. So there is an
800 # on the box which i called and had a long convo with a guy at Grabber.
He said there "shouldn't" be much oil on the screws and yes it could cause
problems with the mud sticking. One of the things he suggested is to try the
gold screws instead of the black screws. In my 25 years of construction work
every drywall job i've ever been around it seemed to be standard practice to
use the black screws so this is what I've always done.
Is there any reason not to use the gold screws for drywall?