Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default tool/yard sale gloat

On 5/2/2011 1:05 AM, Steve B wrote:

You gotta keep your eye out at those
yard sales for the diamonds in the dirt.

Wasn't looking for art, but 20+ years ago, saw three really nice
Japanese watercolors at a yard sale, in a far corner of stuff. Marked $1
each, I bought all three. I'm no art expert, but I knew these were not
modern production prints. Seller was obviously WWII generation. After he
gently places them in a paper sack for me I thank him and turn for my
car. As I start to walk away, he says "Those are worth a lot of money".
I turned back, and he had the saddest look on his face, while his wife
was grinning ear to ear. To this day, I regret not going back and
finding out the story behind this.

They turned out to be pre-WWII Hiroshigi and are worth at least $100
each. Not a major score, but darn decent.

Jon