Posted to alt.home.repair
Tegger[_3_] Tegger[_3_] is offline

Default OT How much oil is too much?

"RBM" wrote in :

"Tegger" wrote in message

If you want to make sure you're truly topped-up all the time, check
the oil
first-thing in the morning, after the car has sat overnight. That way
anything that's going to run back down into the pan has done so;
you'll have a true reading of how much oil is in there, and can add
accordingly.

**Unless the engine manufacturer has a specific instruction for
checking the oil.

Good point. Some of those instructions are meant to guard against
accidental overfilling by people who check their oil right after shutdown,
but I suppose there are automakers who have engine designs that demand the
consideration of different criteria.

My engine requires the oil to be up to operating
temp, then sit for a few minutes, then checked. They also sell a cold
check dip stick, which gives the proper reading on a cold engine.
Despite the fact that this six cylinder holds over 13 quarts, the
instructions are adamant about not overfilling

This must be a Mercedes or BMW or something else on the exotic side of
things. I was thinking of a run-of-the-mill Japanese or American 4-banger
or V6, with an oil capacity of closer to 4 or 5 quarts.

The OP also doesn't know how much extra oil is in the engine, he's
only guessing at half quart

That's true. But most dipsticks I've personally encountered were graduated
to show one quart, or one liter, between the marks. Again, I'm sure there
are exceptions.

--
Tegger