Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT How much oil is too much?

On May 1, 8:06*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Metspitzer" wrote in message

My nephew drives my truck. *When he brought it over, I checked the oil
and I thought it looked about a half quart too low. *I added about a
half quart and checked the oil again. *I guess my eyes too bad or my
estimate of how much is a half quart is off. *It now looks a half a
quart over. *I am told that too much oil is bad too. *I just can't
find out how much is too much.

Retest the oil level with the engine cold on level ground. *If it's
significantly over the top line, I probably would spin off the sump plug and
drain some of it.

That sounds real practical.....

Why? *Well here's what the Car Talk site says:

A word of caution: Be careful not to overfill your car's crankcase with oil.
If you put in too much oil, the engine's crankshaft can actually come in
contact with the oil. And because the crankshaft is turning at several
thousand revolutions per minute, it can quickly whip your oil into a froth -
like the steamed milk that sits on the top of a cappuccino. Why is that bad?
Well, the oil pump can't pump froth very well, and as a result, it can't get
oil to the parts of the engine that need lubrication. The result ... a hefty
boat payment to your mechanic.

The problem of course is that they don't define how much you have
to overfill it for that to happen. If you think damage can happen
with a mere
half a quart, don't you think there would be lots of engine failures
all
over the place? Or do you think that all the oil change guys,
service station attendents, DIY's etc never put a mere 1/2 quart
extra into a truck?