Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT How much oil is too much?

On May 1, 2:25*am, mm wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 20:49:13 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

My nephew drives my truck. *When he brought it over, I checked the oil
and I thought it looked about a half quart too low. *I added about a
half quart and checked the oil again. *I guess my eyes too bad or my
estimate of how much is a half quart is off. *It now looks a half a
quart over. *I am told that too much oil is bad too. *I just can't
find out how much is too much.

If I had a scrap piece of hose I might try the thumb over the straw
and try to get a little out.

You might want to verify all this: * I think a problem with too much
oil is frothing, because if the oil is high enough, the cranks shaft
hits it, but oils for hte last 20 years or more have anti-frothing
agents.

Also, I don't think a half quart is too much extra most of the time,
and you don't have a small engine.

An extra half quart of oil isn't going to cause problems. If it
did, lots of people would be having trouble and you'd hear
about it, because it has to happen lots of times. Either
doing it yourself or having someone at a service station
check it an slightly overfill it because the oil hadn't
drained down enough when dipped, etc.

If you put an extra half quart in a lawn mower, that would
be a different story.