Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default Video cassette - topology question

On Apr 25, 2:05*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 08:16:01 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:
Mr Cook, your writing is often unclear. You sometimes write as if
English were not your native language. You need to learn to write more
clearly.

As I understood him, he asked if videocassette tape was meant to have a
half- (or greater) twist. Or, by extension, should it lay untwisted
like an audiotape, whether open reel or cassette.

Thanks.

The answer, of course, is untwisted.

Oh that's what he said. Well crap, it's simply logic that tells you tapes
should not be twisted.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

Unless it somehow managed to get over the top of the hub (EXTREMELY
unlikely), any twist in the tape will have a reverse 'mate' so that it
all cancels out. That portion will be so mangled that it might make
more sense to cut out the damage and splice it. I've been repairing
broadcast VTRs and the occasional tape and have never seen tape
slipping over the top of the hub inside of the cassette.