Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default R-22 Heat Pump update

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 19:24:04 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

I was able to get a cylinder of R-22 and the right manifold and hoses
and finally it was good enough weather to check out the system. Not
good! First, the fan on the condenser wouldn't start on it's own but
a little push with a screwdriver got it spinning. The bearings seem
OK so I suspect the capacitor. Next, the compressor won't start, it
just hums for a while then goes quiet then repeats. Hmmmm. The
static pressure on the refrigerant is 110 psi on both sides at 70
degrees F ambient.

So, I assume the worst on this 15 yo Trane and it won't be worth
fixing. At this point I call in a professional, a nephew of a friend
on mine and see what he thinks. I'm a heat baby and like the house at
67 and my bedroom at 60 or less...I have a modified window unit for
that. The house is all-electric and very well insulated, my largest
electric bills are $200/mo for everything so I don't expect to see
huge savings with a new heat pump.

You have a business. You of course know this can be ordered from the
distributor for about 1/3 of what the contractor charges. I'd get a
complete matched system and replace everything.

I happen to know a cheap skate that bought one of these, installed it,
and then used an old refrigerator compressor to evacuate the lines.
Then just put in the R22.

Karl