Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
mm mm is offline

Default Hiring someone to run wires in crawlspace

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 13:19:30 -0700, mike wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote:
I want to run two Cat5e or Cat6 cables (to opposite sides of the
room) and one or two RG-6 cables to my bedroom. I also want to run
a cable (or cables) to my computer room for one telephone and one
DSL line.

I am not well enough to go into the crawlspace. I could probably do
the wiring inside the house.

What is the best way for me to hiring someone to run the wires in
the crawlspace (about 30 inches tall with dirt floor)? I want
someone who will do a good job at a reasonable price. I do not need
it done quickly. Thank you in advance for all replies.

Your best bet for cheap is a good friend or neighbor.

You say, "EVERY TIME I've hired something done [by a licensed
professionsal], they've screwed up their work PLUS some unrelated
stuff I had to fix." but you want him to hire a good friend or
neigbhor to do a job requiring undetermined time which includes
drilling holes in his house.

That's a great way to ruin a friendship and make an enemy of a
neighbor.

Never do any kind of business with such people if you can avoid it,
and certainly not this.

40 years of cleaning up after smart, well-intentioned people doing simple
things led me to the conclusion that there ain't no simple things.

While probability is overwhelmingly on your side, statistics don't do
any good for the poor soul who is the exception. You may have half a second
to ponder, "what idiot put a water main, or electrical wire or gas pipe
right where I drilled?"

Make sure your homeowners insurance is paid up and covers damage to
your property and your helper. What do you do when your helpful neighbor
impales himself something poking out of the ground or hanging from the
floorboard? He may be your best friend, but the lawyer handling his
estate ain't. But this will never happen....until it does...

Random hires off the books are probably worse.

Hire a licensed, bonded professional to do it if you wanna be safe
and poor...

But don't overlook the possibility of the licensed professional doing
something dumb. I had floor insulation installed. The licensed
professionals who did it got tired of snagging their clothing on the
nails sticking down from the floor. What did they do? They banged
them up till they were flush. Who'da thunk that the nail heads
would pop up under the rugs? GRRRRR!!! EVERY TIME I've hired something
done, they've screwed up their work PLUS some unrelated stuff I had to fix.

You don't say exactly what you're doing, but most things are wireless these
days.
I can't imagine most people needing a wired phone.

Here's what I did, originally to clean up DSL signal properties.
I ran a wire from the phone junction box on the outside,
and poked it thru an outside wall near the computer. Put a DSL filter
inside the junction box to isolate the WHOLE house at once.
Now, that old house wiring is isolated from the DSL.
The wire goes to the wireless router/dsl modem combination.
The base unit(s) for one or more cordless phones can go anywhere
there's an existing phone socket.
Everything else is wireless.
You won't have any problems when that new big screen tv forces a
rearrangement
of the room.

And the whole wireless setup is probably cheaper than having a wire
put in by a professional. Especially if you include the cost to
fix up what they break.

All depends on what you're trying to accomplish.