Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Hiring someone to run wires in crawlspace

On 4/29/2011 8:50 PM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

Daniel Prince wrote:
I want to run two Cat5e or Cat6 cables (to opposite sides of the
room) and one or two RG-6 cables to my bedroom. I also want to run
a cable (or cables) to my computer room for one telephone and one
DSL line.

I am not well enough to go into the crawlspace. I could probably do
the wiring inside the house.

What is the best way for me to hiring someone to run the wires in
the crawlspace (about 30 inches tall with dirt floor)? I want
someone who will do a good job at a reasonable price. I do not need
it done quickly. Thank you in advance for all replies.

look for a cable, phone, or satellite installer truck in your area and
ask him if he'd do a side job on his off time.

That would be my first thought. With many cable/dish companies they are
sub-k's anyway. They will already have materials which will be cable
company quality. I would think the wire& connectors used will be much
better than what some jaboni would use from Radio Shack or the Borg. They
would have proper tools like crimpers that provide good connections as well
as testers/toners that it woulld be $ impractical to own for an occasional
hack. Just my thoughts.

Around here, the weekly free ad paper has a least a dozen ads from
moonlighting or semi-retired ex-Ma-Bell or similar telecom wire
stringers, looking for side jobs like that. Expect to pay cash.
Experience pays on stuff like that- typical runs they can knock out in
an hour or two.

--
aem sends...