Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Old style filament lamps?

On Apr 29, 12:11*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

There are multiple issues.

People are used to lights reaching "full" brightness very quickly. This is
of no concern to me, if the lamp more-than-sufficiently bright when it's
turned on. (This one reason I use only 90W or 100W-equivalent CFLs. When
you're using only one-fourth the energy of a standard incandescent, why use
anything smaller?)

My torchieres were designed to fit 50-100-150 W bulbs. No one makes a
globe or bullet brightness equivalent, much less a three-way CFL. I
tried a "100 W equivalent" twisty bulb, and promptly brushed it
against the ceiling, turning my living room into a hazmat scene.

People object to the shape of coiled CFLs -- at least when they're visible.
The choice of shade should fix this.

I should just throw away my torchiere lamps? Already I can find no CFL
equivalent for my 60 W hall fixture -- an incandescent bulb that has
lasted at least 20 years -- it hasn't been changed since we bought the
house. I guess I'll stock up on clears since it is a cloudy decorated
globe fixture.