Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old style filament lamps?

As I've said on a number of occasions, linear flourescent light doesn't
affect me in anything like the same way as CFL. I can read perfectly well
under it. I work perfectly well under it. I don't find the light

displeasing
in either colour or quality. I don't know how to reconcile this apparent
disparity, as I too have lived under flourescent light for over fifty

years.
I don't know what my type of colour blindness is called, nor whether it is
common in type, or rare. I am apparently red blind and green insensitive,

as
far as I recall. It is many years since I took the test. I think it meant
that I couldn't see some shades of red at all, when they were mixed in

with
other colours, and that I couldn't distinguish some shades of green

amongst
other shades of green. Oddly enough though, the light from CFLs always
appears to have a slightly 'sick' green caste to me, irrespective of the
quoted colour temperature.

That's hardly "odd" if you have little or no red sensitivity. It's to be
expected.

The obvious question is... Why doesn't tungsten lighting show a similar
green cast? The answer might be that tungsten lighting puts out more red
energy, over a wider band.