Tim Carver

Default Best three easy improvements to my shop. How about yours?

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 15:29:23 GMT, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Now to find an Accuride set that slides both ways for the pair on
the assembly bench and devise a simple center detent to keep it in
place when I roll the bench around. A spring-loaded inline skate
wheel in a rounded V-groove ought to do the trick.

Larry -

Couldn't you just use 2 sets of box slides for this? One pair would
be attached to the pullout. The outer pair would pull out from the
opposite side; when you pull out from that side, the inner pair and
the pullout would move as a unit. You would have full extension in
both directions, and I think there would be a pretty good detent in
the center position, since the standard accuride slides have detents
to help keep them closed. You would have to drill the slide
component of the outer pair to match the mounting holes in the box of
the inner pair. And you would need to keep the profile of the
fasteners that attach the box of the inner pair to the slide of the
outer pair to a minimum - pop rivets would probably work nicely. Or
you could use 1/4" masonite or something similar
as an adapter between the outer and inner pairs if you want to avoid
drilling and riveting the slides.

If you do know of a slide actually designed to open both ways, please
let me know, as this solution obviously has some drawbacks (cost,
double slide thickness, reduced load capacity).

Tim Carver