Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Re-wiring a socket question

On Apr 27, 7:44*pm, Ron Lowe wrote:
On 27/04/2011 10:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:15:21 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:

Splice the new to old by chopping the L, N and E at staggerd lengths,
and linking them by making twisted loops like a chain, and tape the
whole thing up.

WTF! You need a proper mechanical joint of somesort not just twisted
together and taped. Proper crimp, soldered or a screw terminal.

Aim to make the splice no fatter than the original cable, and of similar
profile. * That's important! * A smear of vaseline over the splice may
help too.

Ah joining *JUST FOR PULLING* not as the final electrical connection.
Phew!

Well, duhh.... :-)

Why would you want to make an electrical connection to the bit of old
wire you are removing?

Glad you saw what I meant.
I suppose I could have been clearer.

When making a purely mechanical splice for pulling-thru, it needs to be
surprisingly strong and non-fat to survive that ticklish bit where it
pulls through a drilling in a joist etc, lest you end up with it parting
in the middle...

--
Ron

The first episode went fine - the further episodes have fortunately
been delayed by agreeing with the applicable daughter that a major re-
wire of that bit of the upstairs is needed if she wants dividing walls
removed, etc.
Thanks for the recommendations - I suppose offsetting the joints is
obvious, but although I'd pulled easy cables through before, this one
had the potential to go wrong - fortunately it didn't.
Rob