Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Sharkbite fittings...

On Apr 26, 6:31*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 26, 2:52*am, wrote:

While PEX seems to be the new fad, I personally would not use it in my
home, and particularly not with sharkbite fittings. *They clain PEX
will last many years, but like all plastics, it will degrade with time
and fail. *10 or 20 years from now, they will probably ban the stuff
after many failures due to age. *Besides that. I feel that plumbing
should be SOLID PIPE, not a hose, which is what PEX is. *

I feel all roofs should be slate or tile.

What did you do, lose the topic? *This is about PLUMBING, not
roofs....

You wrote, "I feel that plumbing should be SOLID PIPE..."
I wrote, "I feel all roofs should be slate or tile."

I will walk you though it.
SOLID PIPE is a stupid term, because pipe is hollow.
SOLID PIPE is a stupid term as all pipe is solid - that is, there is
no such thing as lattice-work plumbing pipe.
SOLID PIPE is stupid because typing in all caps is for nimrods.
Solid pipe...assuming you mean something like copper or galvanized, is
expensive to install and quite durable - just like a slate roof.

Your feelings are ever so important to me, but when it comes right
down to it I, like most people, will be making my decision based on a
risk vs. reward analysis. Sad to say your feelings don't enter into
it but dollars do. Sorry.

Maybe I'm old
fashioned, but I'll stick with rigid pipe. *Copper is preferred, but
even galvanized steel has always been reliable, and is sturdy. *Solid
pipe looks better too. *PEX and any other plastic pipes like CPVC sag
and look cheap. *However I have found CPVC to be pretty reliable as
long as enough hangers are used to keep it from sagging. *

Looks better? *Huh? *You're choosing what is a purely functional item
based on aesthetics? *The only place you see exposed PEX is in a
basement, and if there's exposed PEX in a basement there's probably a
lot of other things that offend your refined sensibilities.

If you had read what I wrote, which had nothing to do with roofs, I
said that plastic pipe is not durable and I would not use it for that
reason. *I followed up with the aesthetics, which are not nearly as
important.

LEARN HOW TO READ ....

Learn to think.
Thank you for finally seeing that the aesthetics have nothing at all
to do with choosing plumbing pipe material.

How durable is copper when the pipes freeze? PEX expands and when it
thaws out, the PEX will shrink back down to its original size without
damage. There are tradeoffs in everything. Yours is trading off
logic so you can hang on to your opinion.

It's highly entertaining that you believe CPVC (plastic) to be "pretty
reliable" but another plastic, which you have obviously never used or
even read up on, you believe to be crap. Willful ignorance is a
pretty much bulletproof armor, eh?