Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Sharkbite fittings...

On Apr 27, 8:14*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'll admit, I've not seen one of these shark bite things in
person. And, yes, I'm an old dog. Grrr.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Apr 26, 7:15 am, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:

If the little shark teeth corrode and the fitting comes
lose, it could mean a lot of water damage. I don't trust
them, at this point. I'm expecting about ten years from
now,
a recall like the grey tubing that sprung leaks.

Those little shark teeth are stainless. *Have you ever
picked up one
of their fittings and examined it? *Technically there's a
lot more
brass in the things than there needs to be - they could have
easily
cut down on the amount of brass, and cut a much bigger cost
savings
corner. *But they didn't.

Pex fittings such as Zurn makes don't have stainless teeth -
the whole
thing is plastic, and they've been used in Europe for
decades. *I
understand you're an old dog and a new trick _is_ something
to be wary
of, but in this instance you're just being an old dog. *

Our Home Depot has a display where you can play with the SharkBites.
Put them together, take them apart, PEX to Copper, etc.

When I bought the ones I used, I didn't bother spending the $3 (?) on
the disassembly tool. All you really need is anything that will push
the release ring evenly back into the fitting.

I don't recall what I used, but I took one apart at home just as a
test and had no problem using some tool or object that was just laying
around the shop.