Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default dumb question volts/amps - how much is too much?

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 17:22:19 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

"Steve W." on Tue, 26 Apr 2011 18:13:33 -0400
pyotr filipivich wrote:
I've a wall wart which is rated 12 V DC at 1 amp output

The router is (I think) expecting 12 VCD at .5 amp.

And I correct in assuming that the wall wart will not "over supply"
the device - that its rating is essentially the max amperage it will
output, while the router is the amount it will draw to function?

That seems to make sense, to me. At this hour of the morning.

--
pyotr filipivich.

More or less correct. However I'm betting that the router doesn't even
need 12 volts. Probably

"Probably" - but all I know is what I can decipher off the
sticker. B-)

...that has a LOT of overhead in it. Most
electronics out there use around 5-6 volts. The extra allows for voltage
sags, spikes due to other items starting up.
If you opened the router the first items in the power feed will likely
be a couple of capacitors and a couple of regulators. Likely a 7805 type
with maybe a 7905 if it also has a negative rail.

I've tried a 9 volt power supply on the odd one, and they did NOT
work. On others they would likely work.

If you have + and - 5 volt rails, from a DC source, a minimum of about
10.7 volts is required..