Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default dumb question volts/amps - how much is too much?

pyotr filipivich wrote:
I've a wall wart which is rated 12 V DC at 1 amp output

The router is (I think) expecting 12 VCD at .5 amp.

And I correct in assuming that the wall wart will not "over supply"
the device - that its rating is essentially the max amperage it will
output, while the router is the amount it will draw to function?

That seems to make sense, to me. At this hour of the morning.

--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote

Supply verses demand.

The wart can supply an amp.
The router only draws 1/2 amp.
Live is good.

If the draw approaches the supply's capability things get if-ier.
At some point the draw will pull the voltage down below spec.
At some other point that will really suck.

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb