Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7326 Ignoramus7326 is offline

Default dumb question volts/amps - how much is too much?

On 2011-04-26, Steve W. wrote:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
I've a wall wart which is rated 12 V DC at 1 amp output

The router is (I think) expecting 12 VCD at .5 amp.

And I correct in assuming that the wall wart will not "over supply"
the device - that its rating is essentially the max amperage it will
output, while the router is the amount it will draw to function?

That seems to make sense, to me. At this hour of the morning.

More or less correct. However I'm betting that the router doesn't even
need 12 volts. Probably that has a LOT of overhead in it. Most
electronics out there use around 5-6 volts. The extra allows for voltage
sags, spikes due to other items starting up.
If you opened the router the first items in the power feed will likely
be a couple of capacitors and a couple of regulators. Likely a 7805 type
with maybe a 7905 if it also has a negative rail.

Most wall warts are not regulated and are meant to produce proper
voltage at the operating current. They may supply higher voltage at
lower current.