Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Replace T 12 tubes with T8 tubes?

"RBM" wrote:

"SBH" wrote in message
news

-snip-
As for a slot or fastener for the ballast, I agree most cheap fixtures
will not have a pre-made fastening area for the bigger electronic ballast.
Though, most fixtures (even the cheap ones) have holes on top, one can be
used for a screw, and electronic ballasts are much smaller than their
megnetic parents. Otherwise, it still doesn't mean a simple drill bit and
machine screws can't hold it in place.

**And I'm not saying it can't be done, just that the design of these really
cheap shop fixtures makes it impractical from every conceivable point of
view

I guess 'impractical ' is an objective observation. Worked for me.
In one morning, for about $6 per fixture I converted a pile of junk in
the corner of my garage to 6 functioning T8 lights with electronic
ballasts.

Along with that, I got a bit of an education in the different ways
manufacturer's can come up with to join things together & I learned a
tiny bit about how ballasts are wired.

If I saw a pile of 6 broken lights at a garage sale, I'd be tempted to
do it all over again.

Jim