Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default real estate auction

rangerssuck wrote:
On Apr 25, 9:44 am, Ignoramus14081ignoramus14...@NOSPAM.
14081.invalid wrote:

The yard is fenced, and the fence looks pretty old.

i-

The existing fence is no substitute for a survey. I had a dispute with
a neighbor (a genuine asshole) about our property line. His survey
company came and staked it out and found that the fence, which was
shown on my survey map and the one before mine, going back to the mid
1960s, was two feet on my side of the line.

He got to rent a concrete saw to remove his encroaching driveway. I
got to pay for a permit for the fence which, according to the municpal
building department, had never been permitted. I should have taken
this to the title insurance company, but it didn't seem worth the 40
bucks.

There's more to this story, including the fence contractor who said
that he NEVER works for neighbors (and I can understand why). But the
moral, Iggy, is, Don't rely on a fence that's on a drawing that may or
may not be correct. You'd be better off measuring off the house at a
few points and triangulating with a fiberglass or metal tape.

Even better would be to get some surveying equipment at auction for
pennies on the dollar. I don't know what it takes to get licensed
where you are - I don't think it's a very big deal here in NJ. When
this neighbor crap came up, I called several survey companies, and I
was quoted outrageous prices and a six-week lead time. Nice work if
you can get it.

In the other hand I saw a guy spend over ten thousand dollars to contest
a fence that was one foot out of place. It came out to about 300
dollars per square foot. Now that is expensive real estate.

John