Posted to alt.home.repair
SBH[_4_] SBH[_4_] is offline

Default Replace T 12 tubes with T8 tubes?

"RBM" wrote in message

"SBH" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"walter" wrote in message
As my 4 foot T12 fluorescent lights in my shoplights fail, can I
replace them with 4' T8 tubes? These shoplights all seem to have
electronic ballasts, consisting of a small, sealed plastic package
about 2"x2"x1/2".

Thanks

Walter

** No, the 32 watt T8 lamps use a different ballast. Those really cheap
shop lights with the integral ballast, aren't designed for ballast
replacement

As long as they have the sockets and wires, an electronic ballast can be
added. Though, it might be cheaper to buy a whole fixture than a ballast.

** These fixtures are so cheap, there is no chamber to install a standard
ballast, not to mention the wiring for their integral ballast is
completely different. On top of that, a replacement cheap T8 shop fixture
costs less than a standard replacement 2/32 electronic ballast

I don't dispute the cost of a fixture compared to the cost of a ballast. I
am indicating ANY fluorescent fixture containing tube sockets can be easily
wired into any ballast regardless of the stock wiring layout. A simple
universal T8 ballast contains two blue wires, one red wire and a black and
white (hot and neutral). The wiring diagram is located on the ballast as
well.

As for a slot or fastener for the ballast, I agree most cheap fixtures will
not have a pre-made fastening area for the bigger electronic ballast.
Though, most fixtures (even the cheap ones) have holes on top, one can be
used for a screw, and electronic ballasts are much smaller than their
megnetic parents. Otherwise, it still doesn't mean a simple drill bit and
machine screws can't hold it in place.