Posted to alt.home.repair
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Emergency Generator Circuit

On Apr 23, 2:42*pm, "RBM" wrote:

It'll work, but it's kind of a Rube. Always a pia to have to drag cords out,
especially if it turns out to be a short outage. If you have a garden
variety circuit breaker panel, you can probably install an interlock kit,
which cost around $150. Personally, I'm pretty cheap, so I built my own.
Cost about a buck. Here's a link to the interlock kit:http://www.interlockkit.com/?gclid=C...FYg65QodWSKgCA

It is an infrequent enough event that dragging cords is not an issue.
I am just trying to control the cord tangle. This approach lets me
hit all of the basement items with short runs; and a relatively short
run from the generator to the upstairs fridge. Otherwise I would have
to run into the house, down a stairway, and then nearly the length of
the house to get to the basement. There is a basement window near the
basement items but that requires removing a window bubble -- not
exactly what I have enjoyed doing during a downpour.

Regarding other comments:

1) The next owner is not an immediate concern. This is our retirement
house and I don't plan on selling it --- Our Kid's issue :^)
2) Inspection and building standards are not a real issue. I want it
safe, but in our rural community there are no inspectors. The
electrician who wired our home 2-3 years ago originally lived in KC
and is KC code conscious and I was happy with that.

Actually, I considered boring a big enough hole in the garage wall,
through the sill, to accept a direct routing of a standard generator
plug to the basement. The cord would be fed to the basement when
needed; and then use an octopus plug from there. The hole would be
covered with a simple, sealed cover to keep bugs out. However that
requires boring a 3" hole and I am not comfortable with putting that
large of a hole in the sill.

RonB