Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT The Cloud

On 4/25/2011 8:28 AM Higgs Boson spake thus:

On Apr 24, 2:12 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 4/24/2011 4:34 AM aemeijers spake thus:

Of course, for really important stuff, no electronic media yet
beats hardcopy, printed or etched on something that won't turn to
dust in 20 years, and stored in a controlled environment.

Yes. The value of printed documentation is highly underrated.

Helpful post, thanks.

Should "printed documentation" of value be on acid-free paper?
Inquiring minds...

If it's really that valuable, I suppose so.

I've got newsprint (saved newspaper article clippings) from the 1980s
that are still in excellent condition, and I'd expect them to last, oh,
probably centuries, unless they somehow got wet and stayed wet. So I
wouldn't sweat it.

You've heard about that guy who discovered just how long paper lasts in
landfills? The "garbologist" who excavated paper that had been buried in
landfills decades prior. In most cases, the papers could still be easily
read. Stuff lasts a long time.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang