Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Stephen[_13_] Stephen[_13_] is offline

Default Hi, WOuld some kind soul help me diagnose my switch mode power supplies?

Wow.... What can I say......

I bought two new new 22µF 50V 105°C capacitors today, total cost 42 pence.
(About 0.5? or 50 cents for the rest of the world)

took the first faulty unit, swapped over the 22µF 50V capxon, tested it and
it worked.

I then took the 2nd faulty unit.... Swapped over the 22µF 50V capxon, tested
it and it worked.

Thank you, Wicaksono, Kripton, Plain Bill and Who Where, you were all on the
nail.....

As a token of gratitude, I think I should give some background to the
story.....

I am in the reception area for 4 TV transmitters in four different
directions and want to get TV channels from all four. Simple aerial group
combiners with grouped Yagi aerials would not work as the frequencies used
at each transmitter overlap at least one of the other 3. One way of solving
this is to used a channelised head end UHF amplifier.

These units have 10 frequency agile filters, with independently adjustable
gain, and can accommodate up to 3 UHF aerials as well as an FM radio aerial
and a Band III aerial.

These units are still available for £400 each ( around ?400 or $400 each.)
via wholesalers.

So I bought 2 off Ebay complete with a programmer. One worked, the other
didn't. After haggling with the seller, I got half the money back and was
allowed to keep the faulty unit, so it cost me £100 all told.

I kept an eye for more on Ebay. Another one came up, I was the only bidder
and bought it for £5 (about ?5 or $5) This was too also faulty with an
identical fault. I didn't raise a dispute given it was beer money, and if
the worst came to the worst, it could be cannabilised for spare parts.

I contacted the Spanish manufacturers of these units enquiring about a PSU
repair kit. "sorry, these units are no longer being made, you need to buy
the new version 2 unit. These are £500 each and the only difference is the
addition of a SD memory card slot allowing you to copy settings from one
unit to another."

So now thanks to the advice given here, I now have 3 working units instead
of 1 working and two faulty.....

So now I could combine up to 9 UHF aerials, 3 FM aerials and 3 Band III
aerials all pointing in different directions, combine the three units
outputs using a passive combiner, and feed that lot into my 17x16
multiswitch.... :-)

I also plan to add CCTV at some point in the future so these units will
allow me to combine digital TV with analogue CCTV too....

Thanks again,

Stephen

"JW" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 16:44:02 +0100 "Stephen" wrote
in Message id: :

capxon

^^^^^^

Shoot on sight. Capxon makes crap. Also Lelon, Luxon, and GSC off the top
of my head.