Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Emergency Gen Circuit

Hoosierpopi wrote:
"Anyone else done something similar - or better? I do want to keep
cost down and keep it safe. But it is a solution that MIGHT get used
once every year or so."

You either need a backup generator system or you don't.

If you need one, you don't need a jury-rigged system that could prove
dangerous - even life-threatening.

To be fair, there is nothing dangerous or even life threatening in what the
OP provided. It may not be at all elegant, and may in fact be a royal pain
in the butt to use, but it is no more dangerous or even life threatening
than plugging in a refregerator at your house.

The transfer switch solution has been around for years. It was
designed to do just what you need - by professionals who, faced with
the same contingencies and requirements, came up with a safe, reliable
and simple to use solution "NEW GENTRAN 3028 8-CIRCUIT AMP TRANSFER
SWITCH 7500 WATTS $229" or similar.

When you're done, you will have a safe, simple system you can be proud
of and it will be a selling point should you decide to move - instead
of a liability.

I agree that it would be a better selling point than the proposed
implementation of the OP, but again - I don't think that his system would
necessarily be a liability. It's really no different than a simple
generator in the back yard with the factory supplied extension cord. Not
convenient, but not a liability.

--

-Mike-