Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When to replace shingles

"John" wrote in message
I'm wondering what the rule of thumb is for when you need to replace
the (asphalt) shingles on the roof. I moved into my house (in
Ontario) 10 years ago, and I think the roof may have been layed around
5 years previous to that. Having said that, I do need to get my
chimney repaired, and I need to replace the solar panels for the pool
both this year, so I'm wondering if it's worth my while to get the
shingles done at the same time or not.

I'm wondering if there's any way to estimate the remaining life of the
shingles, and whether it's expensive to get shinglers to remove/
replace mounted solar panels if they have to work around them.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Hard to guess precisely due to so many variable conditions. Here is a quick
helper though.
Most 3 tab shingles are rated as 20 year
Most architectural types are rated at 30 or more years.
Most don't last much longer than the original warranty period or life
rating.
If end are curled and braking, getting close to replacement time.
If you have leaks, it is at or very close to replacement time.

If a lot of shingles have to be removed for the work that needs to be done,
it may be time to replace. If you see signs of trouble, it may be worth
replacing so you have peace of mind for the next 20 or 30 years. If they
are still in good condition, why not wait a few more years and keep the
money in the bank.