Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Good Mailbox Paint

----- Original Message -----
From: "Evan"
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:23 PM
Subject: Good Mailbox Paint

On Apr 16, 6:22 pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Evan" wrote in message

stuff snipped

People who are bat-**** crazy about protecting their mailboxes
from being batted away by passing carloads of vandals should
locate those mailboxes far enough away from the side of the
road so that they can not be reached with a baseball bat out
of a vehicle's window -- problem solved...

If a vandal with a bat can't reach it, I'm guessing the mailman
would have a hard time getting to it as well.

Bobby G.

Ah, but you see, the letter carrier can get out of the truck,
walk a few feet to the box and deliver the mail

That's known as "dismount delivery" and I believe requires the homeowner be
disabled. If your roadway mailbox requires the postman to leave his vehicle
I think in most cases he dismounts only once - to leave you a notice that
your mailbox is improperly positioned.

While I didn't have time to do an authoritative search, here's one example
of many that says what happens when you relocate your mailbox far enough
from the roadway to force the mailman out of his truck:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/archive/ind.../t-165562.html

So, I reinstall the mailbox a little further back from the road so the
PennDOT plow truck won't wipe it out. For a couple of days, no problem. Then
I get a notice in my mailbox that I will not be having my mail delivered
because the mailbox was too far from the road and the USPS Jeep (yes, 4
wheel drive Jeep) had to go off of the edge of the road to deliver my mail.
(I only moved it back a foot)

Many more such reports are available with a simple Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=mailb...r+from+roadway

Sorry, Evan, but I don't think your suggestion meets with the approval of
the USPS.

--
Bobby G.